Fruit and nuts exports reached USD 2.2 billion in 2020
The Export and Import Department (Ministry of Industry and Trade) estimated that the export of fruit and nuts in December 2020 reached USD 175 million, increased by 3.3% compared to November 2020, but decreased by 24.4% compared to December 2019. In 2020, export of fruit and nuts is estimated at USD 2.2 billion, a decrease of 20.1% compared to 2019.
In the structure of fruits and nuts, there are many kinds of fruits with competitive advantages and great potentials for development such as dragon fruit, mango, watermelon, banana, longan, jackfruit, nuts, etc.
Fruit and nuts are the main export categories in the structure of vegetables and fruits in Vietnam, with an export proportion accounting for 67.5% of Vietnam's total fruit and vegetable export value. In the first 11 months of 2020, the export of fruit and nuts to the Chinese market accounted for a large proportion, but the value of exports to this market plummeted, due to the negative impact of the Covid-19 pandemic since early 2020, causing China's fruit import demand to decrease.
In addition, China also introduced stricter regulations related to traceability, food hygiene and safety. Notably, although exports of fruit and nuts to a number of markets increased sharply in the first 11 months of 2020 such as Thailand, United Arab Emirates, Australia, South Korea, Taiwan and Japan. However, the proportion of exports to other markets is still low compared to import demand.
The sharp increase in the export of nuts and seeds to large and highly demanding markets such as Japan, Australia, South Korea and the EU contributes to improving the brand name of Vietnamese nuts and seeds, creating favorable conditions for this category to dominate many other markets in the world.
In the structure of fruits and nuts, there are many kinds of fruits with competitive advantages and great potentials for development such as dragon fruit, mango, watermelon, banana, longan, jackfruit, nuts, etc. Therefore, businesses should make changes in production and business, especially focusing on quality and traceability, to promote export of these fruits in the upcoming period.
Besides, in order to gradually reduce the dependence of exporting fruit and nuts to China, it is necessary to diversify export markets.
- Fruit and vegetable exports resumed growth after consecutive months of decline
- Agriculture, forestry and fishery export target of USD 62 billion by 2030
- Impressive figures for Vietnam's rice export industry
- Fruit and nuts exports reached USD 2.2 billion in 2020
- FDI flows strongly into the coffee industry
- Timber, textile… gained billions of USD in exports
- More growth opportunities for rice exports
- China increased imports of rubber from Vietnam
- In 2021, the timber and forest products industry strives to achieve export value of USD 14 billion
- Shrimp exports in 2021 are expected to be over USD 4 billion