Fruit and vegetable exports exceeded USD 4 billion
Over 9 months, fruit and vegetable exports are estimated to reach USD 4.1 billion, an increase of nearly 70% over the same period last year, and 24% higher than the whole of 2022.
The above data has just been announced by the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetable Association based on calculations from the customs agency. Among the fruit and vegetable groups, durian, banana, and dragon fruit contributed greatly to growth. With durian, from the 4th position in the fruit group, it rose to the top in exports, surpassing bananas and dragon fruit to join the billion-dollar fruit group. This type is also forecast to soon reach the export turnover target of USD 1.5 billion next month.
Currently, China is the country importing the most Vietnamese fruits and vegetables with a total turnover of 8 months reaching USD 2.3 billion, an increase of 134% over the same period last year and accounting for 64% of the market share.
Next is the US market with value reaching over USD 168 million, decreased by more than 6% over the same period last year; Korea Republic with USD 148 million, an increase of 18%; Japan with USD 123 million, an increase of 6%, etc.
Mr. Dang Phuc Nguyen - General Secretary of the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetable Association - said the reason for positive fruit and vegetable exports is that countries increased purchases. In particular, China creates many advantages for Vietnamese agricultural products to enter their market. In 2022, this country signed a series of protocols with Vietnam, creating a stepping stone for our country's fruit and vegetable export activities to achieve many advantages. As a result, agricultural product prices increased compared to the same period, pushing the value of turnover to increase dramatically.
With durian fruit, exports are increasing nearly 20 times compared to the same period last year. Vietnamese durian is harvested over a long period of time and many times off-season compared to other countries such as Thailand and the Philippines, therefore, it is popular and exported at high prices.
In addition, Vietnam's bananas and jackfruits were also purchased by China and paid higher prices compared to the same period last year.
China is considering allowing Vietnamese fresh coconuts to be officially exported. If approved in the near future, coconut export will have many breakthroughs. Recently, the US has also allowed Vietnam to resume export of fresh coconuts.
According to the Plant Protection Department (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development), Vietnamese fruit and vegetable products are increasingly open for export. Authorities are negotiating to open the passion fruit market to the US and Australia; grapefruit to Japan, Korea Republic, Australia, India; durian to India; frozen citrus fruits, coconuts, and durian to China.
- The cashew industry is about to reach export target of more than USD 3 billion in 2023
- In the first 10 months of 2023, seafood exports earned nearly USD 7.5 billion
- Shrimp exports to China and Hong Kong achieved double-digit growth in the third quarter
- Rice export volume in 2023 could reach nearly 8 million tons
- Vegetables and fruits earned USD 4.91 billion, agricultural trade surplus increased sharply
- Seafood exports are forecast to reach USD 9 billion
- Pangasius exports recovered in September, with double-digit growth in the Chinese and EU markets
- Fruit and vegetable exports achieved strong growth in many markets
- Pangasius exports to CPTPP are expected to achieve positive growth in September
- Vietnam's coffee exports are expected to hit a new record