Fruit and vegetable exports resume growth in markets
Although the situation of the COVID-19 pandemic is still complicated both in the country and many import markets, Vietnam's fruit and vegetable export activities in the past five months are showing many positive signs.
Vegetables and fruits are one of the export items that have been heavily affected since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, causing a continuous decline in export turnover.
However, entering 2021, the export of this item has gradually prospered with a strong increase compared to the same period last year.
Specifically, data from the Import-Export Department (Ministry of Industry and Trade) estimated that Vietnam's fruit and vegetable exports in May 2021 reached USD 400 million, an increase of 48.3% compared to May 2020. This is the fifth month in a row since the beginning of 2021 that vegetables and fruits maintain an increase compared to the same period of 2020.
Accumulated over the first five months of 2021, the export of vegetables and fruits is estimated at USD 1.77 billion, an increase of 18% compared to the same period in 2020.
One of the reasons for this impressive growth is that vegetables and fruits exported to China, a key market of Vietnam, are showing many positive signs. Specifically, in the first four months of 2021, vegetables and fruits exported to this market reached USD 866.19 million, an increase of 16.3% over the same period in 2020.
The proportion of exports to China accounted for 63.2%, increased by 2.7 percentage points over the same period in 2020.
According to Mr. Dang Phuc Nguyen, General Secretary of the Vietnam Fruit and Vegetable Association, compared to the same period last year, the pandemic control measures for goods exported to China have been less harsh, therefore imported vegetables and fruits have convenient circulation.
Besides, the pandemic situation in export markets has been more stable thanks to vaccines, so the economy gradually recovered and opened, and especially China, the recovery was quite strong, the fruit and vegetable consumption of this market in 2021 is forecast to recover to the same level as before the pandemic.
Not only the Chinese market, Vietnam's fruit and vegetable products are also showing many positive signs in many major markets, as a result, export turnover to markets such as the US, Russia, Australia, etc. all increased sharply by 16.6%, 32.4%, 34.3%, respectively.
- Tuna exports to Italy grew by three digits thanks to the effect of EVFTA
- Exports of squid, octopus to South Korea increased slightly
- Exports of agriculture, forestry and fishery increased by nearly 27% over the same period
- Vietnam's shrimp exports are forecast to still achieve good growth
- Vietnam rice prices exceed Thai rice prices in June
- Pangasius exports in the third quarter will have positive growth
- Seafood exports to the EU increased by 20%
- Shrimp exports can reach USD 4.2 billion if the disease is under control
- Seafood exports to Russia increased sharply
- Rice exports in the first six months of the year earned nearly USD 1.65 billion