Great potential for Vietnamese fruits in the EU and Japan
According to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, in addition to the fruit products which have been exported in recent years, in the coming time, EU and Japan will also be two potential markets for this sector.
Because, according to the Import-Export Department, the Ministry of Industry and Trade, the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA) which took effect from August 1 would create favorable conditions fruit and vegetable enterprises to expand export markets.
However, in order to export to this market, the Import-Export Department recommends that Vietnam's fruit and vegetable sector needs to improve the quality of agricultural products, especially food hygiene and safety in order to achieve the standards of the EU market.
Despite many negative impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic, Japan still promotes the import of many types of fruits and vegetables from Vietnam such as bananas, dragon fruits, litchi, sweet potatoes, etc.
In addition, every year Japanese importers often import large quantities of fruits such as bananas and litchi because Japanese consumers are very fond of these fruits. These are also the items that are considered to have high export potential from Vietnam to the Japanese market.
According to estimates of the Import and Export Department, exports of vegetables and fruits in July would reach USD 240 million, a decrease of 1.8% compared to July 2019. In the first seven months of 2020, exports of vegetables and fruits are estimated at USD 2 billion, a decrease of 12.3% over the same period in 2019.
According to calculations from the General Department of Customs, in the first six months of 2020, despite a decrease, fruit is still the main export category, reaching USD 1.2 billion, a decrease of 22.9% over the same period in 2019.
In particular, fruit exports to China reached USD 921.6 million, a decrease of 31.4% over the same period in 2019 while fruit exports to markets of Thailand, Hong Kong, and Saudi Arabia United Arab Emirates, South Korea and Australia increased sharply.
- Seafood exports show signs of recovery
- Exports of squid and octopus to China nearly doubled
- Vietnam's rice export prices will remain high in the long term
- In the first 7 months of the year, Vietnam exported more than 684,700 tons of rubber
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development: there are still many opportunities for shrimp exports after COVID-19
- Pangasius exports to Singapore achieved positive results
- Great potential for Vietnamese fruits in the EU and Japan
- Vietnamese rice is sold in major Swedish supermarkets
- Fruit export has many positive signals
- Export value of timber and wooden products in seven months reached more than USD 6 billion