Over 5 months, exporting vegetables and fruits earned nearly USD 1.8 billion, an increase of 18%
The most exported vegetables and fruits are dragon fruit, mango, banana, coconut, jackfruit... China continues to be Vietnam's largest fruit and vegetable export market with 63.2% market share in the first months of the year.
According to the Agro Processing and Market Development Authority (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development), the export value of vegetables and fruits in May 2021 is estimated at USD 400 million, bringing the export value of fruits and vegetables in the first five months of 2021 to USD 1.77 billion, an increase of 18% over the same period in 2020.
In the first four months of 2021, China is Vietnam's largest fruit and vegetable export market with 63.2% market share and value reaching USD 866.2 million, an increase of 16.3% over the same period in 2020. Followed by the US market with USD 57.4 million, an increase of 16.6%; South Korea with USD 50.4 million, decreased by 7.7%; Thailand reached USD 46.8 million, decreased by more than 19%.
Notably, the market with the highest increase in fruit and vegetable export value was Ukraine, 5.59 times. In contrast, the market with the largest decrease in fruit and vegetable export value was Saudi Arabia, with a decrease of 59.6%.
In the first four months of 2021, the most exported fruit and vegetable items are dragon fruit with USD 455.1 million, increased by 7.3% over the same period last year; mango reached USD 180.1 million, increased by more than 17%; bananas reached USD 128.3 million, an increase of 53%; coconut reached USD 85.2 million, an increase of 25%; jackfruit reached USD 84.8 million, an increase of nearly 45%; lemon reached USD 47.4 million, decreased by more than 5%.
Due to the negative impact of the pandemic, the export of vegetables and fruits next month will likely still face challenges related to transportation services, regulations on quality, food hygiene and safety, and increasing technical barriers in important import markets such as Japan, Korea, USA, Australia, China, etc.
However, many specialty fruits and also key export items such as durian, litchi, mango, dragon fruit, etc. are in the main season, with abundant supply while the world market's fruit consumption demand recovered when pandemic is gradually under control.
- Tuna exports to Italy grew by three digits thanks to the effect of EVFTA
- Exports of squid, octopus to South Korea increased slightly
- Exports of agriculture, forestry and fishery increased by nearly 27% over the same period
- Vietnam's shrimp exports are forecast to still achieve good growth
- Vietnam rice prices exceed Thai rice prices in June
- Pangasius exports in the third quarter will have positive growth
- Seafood exports to the EU increased by 20%
- Shrimp exports can reach USD 4.2 billion if the disease is under control
- Seafood exports to Russia increased sharply
- Rice exports in the first six months of the year earned nearly USD 1.65 billion