The agricultural sector achieved a record export turnover of USD 41.25 billion
Despite a difficult year in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic, complicated developments of animal diseases, climate change, in 2020, the agriculture and rural development sector has achieved an impressive export turnover of USD 41.25 billion, an increase of 1.6% over 2019.
On the afternoon of December 24, reporting to Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc at the Conference on reviewing work in 2020, implementing the plan for 2021, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Nguyen Xuan Cuong emphasized:
In the difficult situation, agriculture continues to assert itself as the pillar of the economy. In terms of cultivation, the crop structure has changed more effectively. Promoting intensive farming and the application of science and technology, especially for key crops. Focusing on improving the plant variety structure, controlling and increasing the rate of using new and high quality varieties.
The rice output in 2020 will reach 42.7 million tons, fully meeting the needs of domestic consumption, processing and use as animal feed and export. The proportion of high-quality rice accounts for over 85% of export rice, raising the average export rice price from USD 440/ton in 2019 to USD 496/ton in 2020.
“Vegetables and beans increase both in acreage and output. The area of about 1.16 million hectares (ha); production reached 18.2 million tons, an increase of 458,000 tons compared to 2019. The area of fruit trees reached 1.1 million hectares, an increase of 40,000 hectares compared to 2019 "- Minister Nguyen Xuan Cuong said.
In terms of husbandry, there has been a clear change in production organization, farming on farms, family farms, focusing on chains, biosafety. Meat output of all kinds reached about 5.37 million tons, an increase of 3.5% compared to 2019; fresh milk reached over 1.1 million tons, an increase of 12.9%; 14.15 billion eggs, an increase of 6.6%.
The seafood industry develops sustainably in both farming and capture production and is being restructured. Total fisheries output reached over 8.4 million tons, an increase of 3.6% compared to 2019; of which over 3.84 million tons of catch, increased by 3.2%, over 4.56 million tons of farming, increased by 3.9%.
Regarding forestry, forest development continues to be concerned and directed by the Ministry and localities to promote planting, tending, zoning for regeneration of forests and improving the quality of planted forests. The country has prepared nearly 850 million seedlings of all kinds for afforestation; newly concentrated planted forest area reached 220,000 ha, reaching the set plan. The policy of payment for forest environment services is effective and plays an important role in forest protection and development. In 2020, revenue from forest environmental services would reach VND 2,457.8 billion.
- The export value of agricultural, forestry and fishery products of Vietnam is set to reach USD 50 billion by 2025
- Pangasius exports will gradually recover in 2021
- Shrimp exports are expected to increase by 12.4% in 2020
- China spent nearly USD 1.3 billion on importing rubber from Vietnam
- The agricultural sector achieved a record export turnover of USD 41.25 billion
- Wooden furniture exports to Belgium increased by more than 40%
- Challenges and opportunities of the seafood industry in 2021
- Seafood export value in 2021 is forecast to reach over USD 9.4 billion, an increase of 10% compared to 2020
- Vietnam's timber and wood products earned a record USD 13 billion
- Seafood export target for 2021 set at USD 9 billion